- Provide strategic long range asset management focus to transmission and distribution protection systems. Technical lead for the more complex/specialized projects, generation interconnections, standards development, and integration of new relay philosophy and technologies into existing utility infrastructure. Expert in all aspects of Relay System settings and operation with a solid understanding of related standards and regulatory requirements.
- Highly sought after by other T&D organizations in providing relay setting review, assistance with failure analysis, miss-operation investigations, repair/replace strategies requiring temporary relay setting and operating recommendations.
- Demonstrated resident and/or industry technical expert who is highly influential on strategic initiatives and whose decisions have a major impact to the company.
Major duties and responsibilities (include and are not limited to):
- Review yearly preventative and corrective maintenance data and make decisions as necessary to optimize the system protection maintenance program.
- Represent as a prime technical contact on regional and national committees and interacts with industry peers on significant technical matters in the system protection area.
- Must be able to understand, apply and implement NERC and RFC to ensure compliance.
- Provide guidance and leadership to engineering associates in the development of relay specifications for projects, relay settings, relay testing routines and maintenance of the relay test manual.
- Initiates, directs and performs root cause analysis of highly complex equipment or system failures on an as needed basis. Provide engineering and technical solutions for unusually complex problems.
- Independently makes decisions to resolve major equipment problems or system crises and assists in restoration of same.
- On call 7 days, 24 hours, for response to system emergencies and be available for scheduled On Call duties as needed.
Required Education, Competencies and Skills
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering
- Minimum: 10 years industry experience in the system protection area.
- Working knowledge of applicable codes (ANSI, IEEE, ASTM, NEC, NESC, etc) and regulatory requirements (NERC/FERC/NPCC).
- Demonstrated, advanced technical/professional knowledge and experience in system relay protection.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Applies advanced technical theories and engineering tools & methods from first principles
- Possess a high level of Electric Delivery System knowledge
- Strong planning and organizing skills.
- Demonstrated managerial/leadership skills.
- Available for off hour’s emergency response.
- Must possess a valid drivers’ license. May have to travel to other Company locations as needed.
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Professional Engineering License, Advanced technical training and/or PhD
- Reports to Manager – Asset Strategy
- Employees: Individual contributor that leads a team of technical business associates
- Work assignments cover all service territories from Far Rockaway to Eastern Long Island
- May be required to work from Division office location as needed. Site visits may be required
- You should be aware that during storm restoration efforts, you may be required to perform functions outside of your routine duties and on a schedule that may be different from normal operations.